Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Miss Her.

I always miss my mom around this time of year. Not only is it the 'holiday season', but December marks 16 years since she died. Today as my husband and I were driving, we were listening to Dr. Laura (as usual) and a woman with terminal cancer called in asking advice for how to tell her children she was dying. My husband looked at me and asked if I was alright since woman's story hit pretty close to home. I told him yes, and then he asked me to never die, because he doesn't know what he would do without me. I then told him that I often wonder how that must've felt for my dad - his wife of 16 years, dying and leaving him and three daughters behind. How does one live knowing their spouse will die? This of course made me cry out of sadness for my dad and out of admiration for his strength during it all.

I often tell my husband about my mother, the things I can remember in my nine years of knowing her. Mostly I tell him of her laugh, how contagious it was. How down to earth she was and that she would've liked him a lot. It makes me sad that he never got to meet her, that my future children will never know her, that she had to die so young, that my grandparents had to bury their daughter, and that I never got to know her as more than just 'mommy'. Sometimes I struggle to remember things about her, it seems so long ago and like yesterday at the same time.

As I was crying telling my husband things about my mother that he has heard before, but I tell him again because it's all I remember, he told me he doesn't like to see me upset. I told him some were tears of sadness, but others were tears of happiness remembering the greatest woman I have ever known. My mother was not perfect, but to a nine year old, your parents can do no wrong. My mother died being my world & perfect in my young eyes.

I miss you, Mom.

3 comments:

Sarah

I firmly believe that she DOES know your husband because she is looking down, watching you whenever she feels like in from her Heaven. Can you imagine losing a spouse? Now that Sean and I are engaged I find myself semi-paranoid that something will happen to him or I. I actually checked on his breathing last night (he went to bed before me because he is sick). Then, on the way home I was convinced I was going to crash and die...it's very horrible. It's important to try to live each day with thanks and gratitude for what we do have, so many forget that.

Ashley
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley

I cannot imagine being the one to die and knowing the great life that you have to leave behind. You get no say, no choice in the matter. That to me is heartbreaking. Your father chose to be strong for the simple fact that he loved a woman so much he decided to put all that love into raising you and your sisters. Chin up.

And I love how you listen to Dr. Laura ... she is a conservative after all ;)