Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ding Dong!




Since buying a house & moving into a subdivision, rings on my doorbell and knocks on our door have increased. I am the type of person who doesn't answer unless I am expecting someone or the person on the other side looks harmless. But due to the weather warming up, these knocks have increased and have the money in my wallet has decreased! Here's the knocks in a nice little list.

#1 - Girl Scouts. Okay, I'll admit I wasn't unhappy when they knocked on my door. I don't mind buying things from schools or organizations, especially kids. I remember being a kid, knocking on someones door, and feeling hurt when they turned me down. So when the GS came, I politely bought a box of Tagalongs and Thin Mints and my waistline hated it for me later :]

#2 - Republican Party. Okay, I am not a Republican, but I listened to this old guys speech and then told him I wasn't yet registered to vote in the state of AZ, so sorry pal, I can't sign your petition. I'm not going to sign it regardless - I know nothing about the guy your talking about. I'd like to research a candidate before I just sign my name to some piece of paper.

#3 - Cookie Dough. This was for the local high school's cheerleaders. Granted I'm probably not going to even make the white macademia nut cookie dough I ordered, I again remembered my childhood door knocking, and paid the $15 for it. Besides, they told me my dog was cute :]

#4 - Meat Guy. I knew I should've turned this guy away right when I answered, but I get suckered in everytime. Everytime. So I let him in and he shows me all these kinds of meats - for $400 or something. I didn't want to spend the money, but when you break it down, it really is cost effective. I bought 9.5 lbs of beef, 9 lbs of chicken, and 3lbs of salmon for $190. It sounds like a lot, but the beef is steaks (Ribeye, T-Bones, etc). I hardly ever buy beef because I for one don't really eat it. My freezer is stocked for the next 6 months I'd say!

#5 - Random Creepy Guy. Okay this one happened about an hour ago and I didn't answer. It's Saturday and my husband is sick and we're still in our PJ's. Anyway, he rings the bell and stands there for literally 5 minutes. No exaggeration. Then he knocks and stands there for another 2 minutes, finally leaving. It was creepy and he was old. I don't know what he wanted, and I don't really care. I swear he was peeking in my house too. This is our front door. It's hard to see in, but if you put your face close enough, you can see inside on certain parts of the glass.

So there you have it. I'm sure more will come and knock and I'm sure there are more who will be ignored or get my money. Sometimes I miss apartment living - no one ever bothered me there!

2 comments:

Ashley

You could always try a 'no soliciting' sign. It's effective where we live now. We don't have kids knocking on our door, but we have the other people. People trying to introduce us to their church, wanting to buy cleaning products, etc. I never, ever answer the door for anyone other than my property manager or the UPS/Fedex guy. If they continue to knock and stand there, I'll shout that we aren't interested and to go before I call the cops for harassment. Ha ha. I don't play around with solicitors anymore. Those magazine people always drove me bonkers when we lived in Cville. Never again.

Anonymous

We have all of these annoying kids competing to win $5000 or a trip to Hawaii by selling jacked up magazine subscriptions...they turn me into a crazy person! The last girl who came around, after she'd talked for a couple of minutes I asked if she was selling magazine subscriptions and she looked at me all condescending and said, "Ma'am (omg I'm 21) I'm selling my *personality*." Not interested.

Do what Ash said! Get a no soliciting sign! Even though it's posted along the stairs, they ignore it, and the little one I have on my door now (at Ash's suggestion) seems to do the trick, haha.