Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Concrete Jungle.

This weekend, I was on a quest for some queso de freir (cheese for frying) since the website I found for ordering was sold out, the hubby and I came across a Mexican store the reminded me of the bodegas in New York City. If you've never been to or heard of a bodega, it's basically a tiny grocery store, like the size of a gas station convenience store. It has all your basics, but then it has fruit, meat, beer...everything. Here's a picture of a typical bodega:



So the bodega didn't have my cheese, but we did buy some carne asada with marinade to grill out with. But it really got me thinking, about New York and how much I love it.

I can't even count how many times I've been to the City now, but every time we cross The George Washington Bridge into the City, it reminds me of my first time. Jenry videotaped it and I was just awestruck by the lights and all the buildings. The energy changes immediately after you get out of Jersey and into the City...I can't even describe it.

My husband always wanted to go back to New York, or even just the East Coast, but I knew he'd have better luck finding work out here in Arizona. We have discussed moving to New York, probably within the next 10 years. If he makes the same amount of money as he does now, we could afford decent housing there. He'd be home, I'd be closer to home.

And most importantly, I wouldn't have to look so hard for this damn queso de freir :p